Pages

Friday 5 March 2010

Earl Magnus

I was a friendly man that refused to take part in fights. A good Christian who ruled the Island of Orkney with my cousin Haakan.
However Haakan became a little envious of my popularity (instead of just basking in my magnificence).
Well, push came to shove and we decided to settle things in a duel, and when I say duel I don't mean the old man-to-man rapier nonsense. Oh no! Each man could bring 2 ships with the best hooligans available.
  I arrived at the island of Egilsay, filled to the brim with confidence, God on my side and a hankering for blood only to find that I brought a knife to a gun-fight.
My devious cousin had brought 8 ships and forever ruined the art of respectful war for everyone.
I was offered two alternatives; exile or imprisonment. But before I could even make that choice the chieftains decided that only one Earl can rule Orkney and one had to be killed.
  Haakon (being a coward) ordered his standard bearer Ofeigr to handle the execution, but he refused. Being a practical man Haakon told his chef Lifolf  to pick his best axe and put it in my head.



St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall opened in 1137, built by Earl Rognavald to the memory of his Uncle; Earl Magnus. In 1917 a cavity was found in a column, containing a box with bones including a damaged skull.
These where the bones of St Magnus.

This history became a part of folklore on Orkney and the beautiful name "Magnus" became a popular name there. The founder of Highland Park whisky distillery bears this name, and it's rumoured that he is of Swedish ancestry


Highland Park Earl Magnus Edition 1

Earl Magnus Edition 1 is a 15 y.o. cask strength single malt (52,6%). The Whisky is a mixture of specially selected barrels, where the youngest is from 1994.
The bottle and the label is inspired by an old bottle from the 19-th century that's been in the distillery's archive.


Tasting Notes

  • Appearance: Golden honey, clear and bright.  
  • Nose: Cedarwood and lemon. Mango chunks with hints of ginger and cinnamon bark.  
  • Palate: Vanilla, balanced smokiness, milk chocolate and crystallized ginger. 
  • Finish: Medium sweet with lingering spiciness.

No comments:

Post a Comment