Pages

Thursday 23 February 2012

Oscars 2012 - Part I - Best Visual Effects

So the Academy Awards (or "Oscars" after Bette Davis named it) are upon us again this Sunday 26/2. This will be the 84th ceremony after starting in 1929.
I will write a little about who the nominees are and who I think should win, and who I think will win. There will also be a follow-up post afterwards with opinions about the show, the winners, the losers and why I was wrong in every category. So everything but the clothes, basically (cause frankly I don't care).

I don't know how to feel about the Oscars anymore, there have been some really weird winners (hello Al Gore and Eminem) and some films you just can't believe lost (Saving Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in Love back in 1999, Forrest Gump won over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption in -95) but it's still the biggest thing in film so what can you do but watch.


I'm gonna start my predictions with the category Best Visual Effects. And the nominees are:


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 
Hugo
Real Steel
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Transformers: Dark of the Moon


Many very impressive effects in these, I haven't seen Hugo yet though but from the clips I've seen it's up there with the rest of them. Planet of the apes is really good, especially the transformation between FX shots and film. But I don't think it will win. Reel Steel is a bit like Transformers but so much smaller in scale, so I don't think it would be logical to choose that. The Harry Potter movies has always had fantastic Visual Effects, they have never tried to make them the point of the scene, they have just helped telling the story.
I still think Transformers will win though, and why shouldn't it?! It's not a movie at all, it's just an expose of how brilliant ILM is at making visual effects, just take a look at this video showing some of the magic being made:


The only real threat to Transformers would be Hugo (because it's a better movie and could get this prize instead of Best Picture or Best Director, or Harry Potter because it's the last movie in the epic.

We'll see on Sunday night.


More:
Cracked about the Oscars
Oscar Etiquette with Sir Cecil Worthington
Hugo Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment