Pages

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Now, already a memory

Have you ever been gripped by nostalgia?
Have you ever felt that strong urge to travel back and revisit your old memories?

Youth is wasted on the young, as George Bernard Shaw said.


I sometimes feel too caught up in building new memories and a better future to appreciate the very now, because frankly that "now" is all there is. Everything else is just a chemical pattern in your brain that is a formed memory that changes over time, or a longing for a later "now" on the horizon.
Still, as you live the "now" every second of every hour of every day of every year of your life, it is already a memory. I quantify my "nows" into such small parts that they have already passed before I've been able to savour them.

I think that is why memories from my childhood and teenage years seem so attractive now, because they are like a movie I can sit down and watch with a drink and some popcorn. I can pause, rewind and edit them into a perfect stream of a blissful life.
That is why I think Youth Is Wasted on The Young. They live through my favourite memories without even knowing it, as I did. They create what I miss.

Today is the happiest time of my life, I'm sure of that. The memories I create now will be played, paused and edited by me 20 years from now. Will I still feel that I didn't appreciate them while making them?
Is looking back on the nearest part of your life with nostalgia a sign that life is constantly getting worse, because the best part of your life was just before now? Isn't that a peculiar paradox that you know your life is getting better while your nostalgia is convinced it's getting worse!

Time is nothing you shall try to understand, like flying in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. If you stop and think about it you will crash.


More quotes from mr Shaw that I think fits the subject:
- “We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
- “I want to be all used up when I die.”
- “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment